ATI Radeon Xpress 200 question

jstipins at umich.edu jstipins at umich.edu
Tue Nov 22 12:52:42 PST 2005

Hello,

I'm not sure this is the correct forum for my question.  If there is a
more appropriate list, please let me know.

I have an AMD64 motherboard with an integrated ATI Radeon Xpress 200
video card.  I realize now (alas) that the specs of this chipset are
kept secret by ATI, so that only their proprietary drivers are available
for linux.

Using open-source software is more important to me than having optimal
video performance, so I would gladly use _any_ open-source driver that
can run this thing.  The catch is that my display is an HP vs17 flat-panel,
that displays a warning and then goes to sleep (!) if it receives any
signal other than 1280x1024 @ 60Hz.

Am I completely screwed here?  Am I forced to use the ATI proprietary
linux driver?  Or is there some way to convince the available Xorg linux
drivers to generate the signal I require from the card?

I appreciate any help I can get with this, even a definitive "Yes, you
are screwed" answer.  Again, if there is a more appropriate forum for my
question, please let me know.

Thanks very much,
-Janis Stipins