[patch] Use dlsym instead of glXGetProcAddress in xdriinfo

Felix Kühling fxkuehl at gmx.de
Tue Nov 22 08:11:54 PST 2005

Am Dienstag, den 22.11.2005, 08:36 -0700 schrieb Brian Paul:
> Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 18:08 -0500, Felix Kühling wrote:
> >
> >>The attached patches (monolithic and modular) should fix dynamic linking
> >>problems with xdriinfo, that NVidia users were complaining about.
>
> (referrring to previous message) Why not just use glXGetProcAddressARB
> instead?

This problem was originally discussed in February on a private email
thread between Eric Anholt, Mikhail Teterin and myself. Eric reported
that using glXGetProcAddressARB segfaulted on his AMD64 system (weird, I
always thought the ARB function was just an alias). At that point the
thread ended and was forgotten about by everybody. Now it's getting
pretty late to get this fixed in the upcoming Xorg releases.

The dlopen hack is obviously not portable so it's no better than the
current solution. And given that Xorg 6.9 includes Mesa 6.4 and Xorg 7
requires Mesa 6.4 for DRI support, why should we worry about other GLX
implementations? Any build or run time errors could arguably be treated
as system configuration errors on the user's side.

I could be convinced to use glXGetProcAddressARB. But I'd like to get