radeon driver only detecting one monitor

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 10:23:55 PST 2005

On 11/9/05, lynx.abraxas at freenet.de <lynx.abraxas at freenet.de> wrote:
> Thanks a lot for the hint with Option "MonitorLayout" "LVDS, CRT". For me that
> did the trick and I have  both  detected  and  running  now.  Why  is  it  not
> necessary  in  XFree86  to  use  this  option? Is there a second radeon driver
> specific to Xorg/XFree86? I thougt it's the module from the kernel, or is that
> just for 3D?

The monitor detection code changed a bit, and there are some
regressions.  the option is needed to force the outputs.

> The  Option "OverlayOnCRTC2" "true" seems not to work and I read in the radeon
> manpage that one could change the overlay-screen on the fly. How is that done?

It's deprecated.  you can use teh Xv attribute XV_SWITCHCRT (IIRC), to
switch the overlay ouput when in clone mode.  in dualhead mode the
overlay will follow the video between heads.

> Where  can  I  put  radeon driver specific options? Only in Monitor and Device
> sections?

in the device section.

> The screensaver covers in mergedfb xinerama mode only the external TFT why  is
> that?

The 3d engine on the the r100 and r200 based chips only has 11 bit
coordinates (2048x2048), so the instance of the screen saver running
on the second head is beyond the coordinates so nothign shows up.

> Also  I  would  like  to know how I have to calculate the values for a modline
> entry that gives me 1280x1024 with  75Hz.

google for "X modeline generator"