Xegl lives!

Zack Rusin zrusin at trolltech.com
Tue May 24 12:37:01 PDT 2005

On Tuesday 24 May 2005 15:14, Jon Smirl wrote:
> Even if you make modifications to the open source XAA drivers
> accelerating render there is no guarantee that NVidia/ATI will pick
> them up.

Actually there's a different path of getting software composite managers
to run pretty efficiently and we're researching it right now. Basically
the problem we go back to is that framebuffer reads are killing us on
every step of the way. So the simplest way of having Composite actually
usable, that is already implemented in most drivers for other things is
1) simply exposing hooks to fetch the data from the video card using
full agp bandwidth,
2) using maximal sized transfers.
I have 2 finished for a8r8g8b8 visuals (but from what i've seen
composite mangers deal with them) and I'm working on 1. So this stuff
is really not hard, it takes little effort to get it working fine and
most importantly working now.
All in all, I think you worry a little bit too much. Just enjoy what
you're doing, especially that you are doing great work and like I said
I'll definitely help you once I'm done with a few other things. Even if
we finished Xegl tomorrow it's still going to take lots of time before
distributions catch up.
And in the mean time since a few people expressed interest in Xegl but
general lack of information about it seems to blocking them maybe it
would make sense to create xgl-devel list or maybe even reusing xorg
list for coordinating the development.

Zack

--
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.