Deprecated components

Mike A. Harris mharris at www.linux.org.uk
Tue May 10 03:46:35 PDT 2005

Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Since we've come to consensus on DPS, I stuck a note on its impending
> demise in the Release Notes for the next release, so there's no argument
> over us not making our intentions clear.
>
> I created a new section to list all deprecated and/or to-be-removed
> components, but so far DPS is the only one there.   What else should
> be listed?
>
> Off the top of my head:
>
>   - Xsun - deprecated, not built by default in 6.8 & later, to be removed
>      in 7.0?
>
>   - cfb* - deprecated, but not yet planned for removal?
>
> Anything else that people should be warned is not to be counted on for the
> future?

I'd remove rstart as well, and any other equally useless junk
that hasn't been used by anyone for years.  I investigated this
one before, and it appears it was more or less used by
Quarterdeck DesqVIEW/X - an implementation of X for MSDOS running
under DesqVIEW multitasker.  I think it's safe to say nobody uses
this stuff nowadays.  If anyone is paranoid however, we can always
list it as deprecated instead, but I think it should just be
removed completely.  There are probably less people using it than
DPS.

> The 6.7 tree introduced a bunch of #ifdef's to allow building under either
> the XFree86 or Xorg names to allow a smoother transition for distros that
> had too much hardcoded on XFree86 names - should that now be deprecated or
> are we going to transform it into autoconf flags
> (--with-server-name=XFree86 ?)

In my opinion, the transition to Xorg from XFree86 was rather painless,
and probably nobody uses the compatibility hack to name things XFree86.
Probably worth deprecating at this point.