direct rendering .. help please

Roland Scheidegger rscheidegger_lists at hispeed.ch
Tue Mar 15 05:28:21 PST 2005

Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-03-11 at 23:58 +0100, Roland Scheidegger wrote:
>
>>>If I use the mesa libs of the Xorg CVS tree, I got a mismatched
>>>version of DDX. How can I try to disable the color tiling?
>>
>>Option "ColorTiling" "false" should do the trick (it's in the radeon
>>manpage). Of course you'll miss all recent (and not-so-recent) driver
>>changes.
>

> BTW, I think it's a bit unfortunate to say the least that with current
> X.org CVS, the 2D and 3D drivers don't work together by default,
> especially as the failure mode is very non-obvious (I think you only get
> 'libGL warning: 3D driver returned no fbconfigs.' without LIBGL_DEBUG)
> Maybe colour tiling should default to off until the 3D driver in the
> tree supports it?
You're not the first to mention this. I discussed it briefly on IRC when
I commited the tiling support what to do wrt to the xorg Mesa tree, and
the conclusion was to not bother. The 3d driver in the xorg tree is not
expected to ever support it, and people should move away from using it.
This would be unacceptable for a release of course, but it's expected
that people using xorg cvs can just as well use mesa cvs too.
It's unfortunate the error you get isn't obvious at all (even with
LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose you only get an additional ddx version mismatch
apart from the no fbconfigs warning), but I couldn't find a way how
you'd output a more sane error message.
If you disable it by default, noone will test or use it. Is it really
important the xorg dri driver works by default (in cvs)?

Roland