New acceleration architecture

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Thu Jun 30 09:18:08 PDT 2005

On Thursday 30 June 2005 09:14, Gioele Barabucci wrote:
> Eric Anholt wrote:
> > Yep.  In KAA drivers you would save out whatever bits you needed to some
> > global variable in the Prepare call.  I always thought that was a bit
> > ugly, but it worked.
>
> Isn't moving paramenter from frequent functions to "prepare" functions
> going to hurt current compilers that can optimize iter-procedure calls but
> have problems with global/stored values?

At this level of the system, inter-procedure optimization is total noise
compared to the amount of time required to set up the card.  And it's not
just one body call per setup call; it's one setup and N body calls.  You
really do not want to send the complete setup state down to the card on every
op body.

The setup/subsequent pattern has proven itself to be quite performant in
opengl and directx.  I don't see any reason to abandon it.

- ajax