How to change the X view port!

Carlos Eduardo Rodrigues Diogenes cerdiogenes at yahoo.com.br
Mon Jun 27 08:49:08 PDT 2005

Hi,

I don't know much about the internals of the X Window System, but I
think that when something goes to the screen it's first clipped and then
drawed.

I will first explain the context, then what I have doubt if could be done.

I'm trying to help the GNOME Accessibility Project, studying the
gnome-mag and how to improve it and we have a problem to lost space in
desktopo when we magnifie part of it, for example, the screen is splited
vertically and in one half we have the normal screen and in the other
half we have a parte of the normal screen magnified. So we have a half
of the normal screen under the magnifier.

So, what I want to know is if we have some way in X or if it can be
easely implemented to chage the part of the screen that is clipped and
send to display, so when the user move the pointer in direction of the
magnified screen, the pointer don't go in the magnified screen, but the
half screen start to appear? What I think that must be done is change
the origin clipping coordinate to be clipped foward.

Thanks,
Carlos.