Problem with display and xorg on 17inch Widescreen KISS TFT Monitor

Stephen azrael at azrael-uk.f2s.com
Wed Jun 22 03:16:08 PDT 2005

Hi all,

I'm having a problem, and I hope this is the correct list to seek help
upon. I have already consulted the mandrake/mandriva (the distro I use)
lists, and have been unable to resolve my problem. If another list would
be better suited to help me, I'd appreciate being informed as to which
it would be, and offer apologies for taking time here.

I'm certainly not an expert on these things, so I will do my best to
describe the problem, but please do quiz me for answers that you think
are relevant to the issue, if I don't give an initially helpful
description of the problem.

Without further ado, here we go:

I have a 17inch widescreen TFT monitor made by Kiss Technology.
Their website is being overhauled atm but I found direct links to the
monitor info and brochure page: http://www.kiss-technology.com/?p=coolview3

I have a creative GeForce2 GTS (nvidia) graphics card.

I used to use Mandrake 10.0 (default with xfree86), it took me a short
amount of time to get the 17inch widescreen working right, but I did
without experiencing this problem.
I updated to Mandrake 10.1 packages which saw the default X becoming
xorg - and at once I started experiencing a problem with the display.
After upgrading to 10.2/2005LE I have the same problems.
Thus I believe that xorg is the root of the issue.. with the mandriva
tools not setting it up correctly (I intend no slight towards xorg!
don't hurt me!!).

The problem: the colour of the display is darker, with horizontal bands
from 'bleed' of colour, i.e. the relatively darker colour of the
titlebar of a window will spread outwards left and right from the window
to fill the screen.

I thought it was some modeline problem, and so copied the modelines from
my working XF86Config-4 file into xorg.conf, but this didn't help.

Advice on the mandriva mailing list was to run monitor-edid and use the
modeline from that. This did not help. monitor-edid output is:

Name: DCM0170
EISA ID: DCM0170
Screen size: 31.0 cm x 23.0 cm (15.20 inches, aspect ratio 4/3 = 1.35)
Gamma: 2.07
Analog signal
Max video bandwidth: 130 MHz

   HorizSync 30-80
   VertRefresh 55-75

   # Monitor preferred modeline (75.0 Hz vsync, 80.0 kHz hsync, ratio 5/4)
   ModeLine "1280x1024" 135 1280 1296 1440 1688 1024 1025 1028 1066
-hsync -vsync

This does pose an immediate question. Why is it suggesting 1280x1024
when it is a widescreen monitor, surely it should be suggesting 1280x768
(even Kiss website lists that as the max resolution)?

If it is indeed the modeline that is my problem, can anyone suggest
anything to help me?

If it isn't a modeline issue, can anyone think of anything else?

I don't currently reside with my computer, but I plan to move in with it
soon (ahh domestic bliss) and so a properly functioning display will
very soon become an important issue (along with whether or not it puts
the lid back on the toothpaste) so all help is greatly appreciated.

--
    Azrael