multiseat

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Sat Jul 30 09:15:25 PDT 2005

On Friday, July 29, 2005 10:41 pm, Dave Airlie wrote:
> Persistent device naming is something that is seriously being worked
> on and there was a talk at OLS about it, Jon's "udev does this" is
> merely his missing the point that it was a presentation not a
> finished product, it will be used on Fedora, Suse and Gentoo, perhaps
> Ubuntu want to ask Greg-KH and Kay Sievers about the work as they
> made no mention of Ubuntu in relation to it.. there is a bit in Gregs
> last blog entry on planet.kernel.org

I'm pretty sure the bits we need for good multiseat support are already
there, aside from configuration specific settings.  The real problem
with USB is that many devices don't provide the kernel (or anything
else for that matter) with a unique id, so the only way to tell two
keyboards apart, for example, is to use the USB device path (sysfs will
tell you which hub is plugged into which port, etc.).  So like Jon
said, providing each user a USB hub is probably the best way to go
(everything plugged into a given hub will be owned by the user on that
seat).  Of course, I don't know if anyone has actually set something
like this up, but it's theoretically possible with current tools...

Jesse