start of some pci cleanups

Egbert Eich eich at suse.de
Wed Jul 27 04:12:28 PDT 2005

Dave Airlie writes:
 > This is a first patch that cleans up some PCI interfaces, we don't
 > have any idea about domains at the normal level of the driver, I think
 > we should at least add the idea.
 >
 > http://people.freedesktop.org/~airlied/change_pci_interface.diff
 >
 > This just adds pci domain to the pcibusid struct and passes the
 > PciBusId struct around instead of passing bus,dev,func triplets.
 >
 > For my next trick, I'd like to fix the xf86MapPciMem entry point to
 > take a pciVideoPtr, so that we can figure out the file in
 > /proc/bus/pci or /sys on Linux that is needed and mmap it rather than
 > using /dev/mem which is something that I'd like to stop doing.

Dave,

I've also been looking into the PCI domain stuff.
Maybe we should coordinate this work.
getting rid of the individual bus,dev,func entries would
certainly be a good goal - just as getting rid of PCITAGs.
We should find a convenient time to do this for the compatibility
issues involved.
I wonder if this work shouldn't be done in a separate branch in
the repository until we have identified a time slot for merging.

Egbert.