start of some pci cleanups

Kevin E Martin kem at freedesktop.org
Mon Jul 25 20:59:46 PDT 2005

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 12:08:08PM -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Dave Airlie wrote:
> >This is a first patch that cleans up some PCI interfaces, we don't
> >have any idea about domains at the normal level of the driver, I think
> >we should at least add the idea.
> >
> >http://people.freedesktop.org/~airlied/change_pci_interface.diff
> >
> >This just adds pci domain to the pcibusid struct and passes the
> >PciBusId struct around instead of passing bus,dev,func triplets.
>
> As noted elsewhere, it breaks binary compatibility, and we're past the
> point in the Xorg 6.9/7.0 release cycle where we want to do that unless
> absolutely required.

Alan is correct.  Dave and I discussed this in IRC a short while ago and
he said that he doesn't think the PCI interface changes are required for
6.9/7.0, but he's checking his notes to make sure that there aren't
other dependencies on these changes.  If there are, then we can look
into adding them.  Otherwise, we should hold off until 7.1.

Also, there's an idea floating around that we're using the major version
number change as an opportunity to break the internal server ABIs, and
that's not true.  Actually, we're trying not to break the internal ABIs
/Imakefile/1.2/=//
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           /site.def.SDK/1.2/=//
/mkmf.cpp/1.2/=//
/README/1.2/=//
/Imakefile.SDK/1.2/=//
/Imakefile/1.2/=//
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            /shadowfb.h/1.2/=//
/shadow.c/1.2/=//
/sfbmodule.c/1.2/=//
/Imakefile/1.2/=//
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                /vbe_module.c/1.2/=//
/vbeModes.h/1.3/=//
/vbeModes.c/1.3/=//
/vbe.h/1.3/=//
/vbe.c/1.5/=//
/Imakefile/1.2/=//
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               op.org>

Hi, Alex -

Thank you again for your response, and for the additional information.

Atitvout (the "ntsc" option) was one of the many things I tried - it didn't
work with my Radeon 9200SEs.

I don't actually want to watch TV or video.  All I need is simple 640x480x256
color VGA output.  Through X Windows.

I know I can do it, because we can do it in DOS, we can do it in Microsoft
Windows, and I can even see VGA graphics on SuSE (for example, I can see
the SaX2 test screen).  I just haven't been able to do it in X Windows yet.

I need to use ATI 9200SEs (because they're integrated with our system, and
we have a fairly large inventory of them).  I need to use S-Video (VGA
signals simply can't extend as far as we need).  But I *don't* need to
use the Radeon driver: I'm open to any alternatives (for example, I've
tried the ATI "fglrx" binaries and "vesa", with no success).  I'm also
open to trying my hand at hacking a driver myself.

QUESTIONS:
  1. Can you suggest any alternatives (for example, a different driver)?

  2. If I were to try the Gatos stuff, I believe that I first need to
     build Xorg - there are no "shortcuts".  Is this correct?

  3. Can you recommend any good FAQs or HOWTO's on building and/or
     hacking Xorg?

Thank you again .. PSM