rdesktop from commandline

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Thu Jul 14 19:13:19 PDT 2005

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005, Christopher Rasch-Olsen Raa wrote:

> I am not sure if this is the correct place to voice this query, and if
> it is not, please let me know so I can direct my question to the right
> place.

I don't know if there is a correct place for X.org. But another place
could be asking on the rdesktop-users list --
http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=24366

> Ok, so I have got a minimum-install of freebsd 5.3 running on a
> computer. I would like to fire rdesktop (yes, I have that and xorg
> buildt and installed) up directly at boot, presenting a logonscreen to a
> Windows Terminal Server.
>
> If I do a "rdesktop <ip-to-server-here>" on one of my computers with
> xorg installed and _running_, it opens up all nicely. I _though_
> rdesktop would somehow create a new display to show the terminal server
> if I ran the same command from shell (without xorg running) on the
> machine where the packages are only installed but with no x fired up,
> but it seems I was wrong.

I guess you get something like:
   Error: Can't open display:

> What is the best approach to accomploshing this? I have tried reading
> docs, and searching (using google), but to no avail. Anyone able to lend
> a helping hand?

I don't know if I understand you situation. But if you want rdesktop to
startup on the same machine with the keyboard, mouse and video display at
boot, then have your boot startup X and have the X startup rdesktop.

You should be able to have a rc.d script or rc.local that simply does:

   su someuser -c "/usr/X11R6/bin/startx"

And have a /home/someuser/.xinitrc that starts up your rdesktop. (I'd
suggest it also start a window manager also, but maybe that is not
needed.)

I have done similar on some thinclients. Note that there is no
authentication for someuser, but is logged in automatically. Create the
user.

  Jeremy C. Reed

  	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
 	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/