Personal xorg-x11 6.8.99.14 rpm packages now available for Fedora Core 4 users

Mike A. Harris mharris at www.linux.org.uk
Wed Jul 13 14:09:07 PDT 2005

I've just uploaded a private rpm build of xorg-x11-6.8.99.14
for Fedora Core 4 users.  I've got rpms for x86, x86_64, and
ppc architecture, which should work with FC4 or rawhide
systems.

This is a personal build which I am providing to users for
convenience, and for people to test out the monolithic X.Org
CVS head which will become release 6.9.  Red Hat will NOT be
putting the monolithic build into Fedora development, as we
will soon be transitioning to the Xorg modular build which
uses the same source code, but will become X11R7, however it
is not quite "ready", so I am releasing this unofficial and
unsupported build to users now, so that people can start
using/testing it in the friendly rpm package format.

If you experience any bugs with the 6.8.99.* rpm builds I
release, file them in X.Org bugzilla located at:

     http://bugs.freedesktop.org in the "xorg" component

Be sure to include full details of your hardware, your
OS distribution and version, the exact video hardware
you are using, and the exact X.Org build, including the
full output of "rpm -q xorg-x11", and also attach your
X server log file and config file.

If you experience any bugs/problems which you are 100%
certain are rpm packaging bugs, then please assign the
bug to mharris at www.linux.org.uk when you file your report
in Xorg bugzilla, and I will review the issue and if
possible correct the problem in my next unofficial build.

Do not file bug reports in Red Hat bugzilla for these
personally built rpm packages, however if you already
have a bug report in Red Hat or X.Org bugzilla, and you
find that it is now fixed in these rpms, or have any
new information to provide from your testing, please
feel free to update your existing bug report(s) with
any new details.

Please do not email be directly with any questions or
comments about these builds, as I wont likely see your
email or respond due to the volume of mail I receive.

Future:
~~~~~~
Many of us, including myself will be away from Jul 16
through 24 for DDC/OLS in Ottawa.  There probably wont
be any updated monolithic CVS builds until the end of
July.

Modularized Xorg will probably start trickling into
Fedora Core development sometime between now and
the first few weeks of August.  Every effort will be
made to try to ensure upgrades work smoothly from
all previous releases, however there will likely be
some growing pains.  I may make upgrade scripts to
ease the pain should it be necessary.  ;o)

Thanks for testing the builds.  Enjoy!