libprinter.a .99 error ...?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Jul 11 16:09:00 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 00:39 +0200, Felix Schulte wrote:

> The solution currently available in CVS does not work

I don't understand why it doesn't work; the code is not compiled
significantly differently in the two environments.

Perhaps you might spend a minute or two and find out where the problem
actually lies. I don't have any idea how to use Xprt or I would look at
it myself.

>  and even if it
> would work it bloat the resource usage in an unnecessary way.

Xlib uses only a tiny amount of non-text memory (< 10KB), so it really
isn't a huge use of resources. In fact, assuming that you have one other
X application running on your system, you'll save 24KB by avoiding
duplicate copies of the Xrm code. The net win here is 14KB in favor of
sharing Xlib.

> And XWin
> and Xnest have proper reasons for linking against libX11 while Xprt
> just needs the resource database functions as this is an essential
> part of the print extension protocol.

So just use the Xrm functions from Xlib; it's actually a net savings of
memory and avoids nasty build hacks.

-keith