libprinter.a .99 error ...?

Felix Schulte felix.schulte at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 15:49:55 PDT 2005

On 7/11/05, Adam Jackson <ajax at nwnk.net> wrote:
> On Monday 11 July 2005 17:01, Felix Schulte wrote:
> > On 7/11/05, Adam Jackson <ajax at nwnk.net> wrote:
> > > The xlib source is not available at link time in the modular tree.
> > >
> > > Nor should it be.
> >
> > Does this make sense? Duplicating the source code is IMO a bad idea
> > and linking libX11 against a Xserver which does not need it is even
> > worse.
>
> Yes, it makes sense.  Yes, those are both bad ideas.  They reflect the poor
> design decision to use client-side code in a server, so now we have to make
> unpleasant choices.  Life is hard.

IMO this issue puts a big question mark behind the modularisation
project. Parts of the xc tree uses shared source code and neither
source code duplication or addition of new dependencies are proper
solutions for the modular tree.
Just declaring the issue a "bad design" choice (and I do not consider
this as bad choice) does not make the problem go away and is no
solution either. Neither is taunting of people who consider this a
serious problem (IMO this should have been discussed and solved before
the modularisation hacking started and not during the tree conversion
process).

--
      _        Felix Schulte
    _|_|_     mailto:felix.schulte at gmail.com