Nvidia driver woes + Mesa

Andy Ritger aritger at nvidia.com
Mon Jan 24 17:33:56 PST 2005

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Alan Cox wrote:

> On Llu, 2005-01-24 at 23:41, Jon Trulson wrote:
> > > There seems to be an Nvidia specific implementation of OpenGL and several
> > > Nvidia extensions, but my gut says to stay away from them as applications
> > > written using them may not port.  Is this correct?
> > >

> >          As I work for XiG, it would probably not be appropriate for me to
> > comment harshly on this :)
> >
> >          If the extension is specific to a vendor, then of course you will
> > have to stick with that vendor for the future (or dump the extension you
> > are depending on).
>
> Nvidia have some packaging issues about trashing existing libraries that
> makes their stuff a PITA to remove but their compatibility is extremely
> good and I've not seen library issues between Mesa and the Nvidia guys.

By necessity, the NVIDIA installation tool moves conflicting OpenGL
libraries to a temporary directory (so that those libraries aren't
picked up at load time, instead of the NVIDIA libraries).  To restore
these backed up libraries and remove the NVIDIA libraries, you
can run:

    nvidia-installer --uninstall

> Much as I loathe their proprietary driver licensing their engineering is
> very very good indeed.

Thank you, Alan.

- Andy