Nvidia driver woes + Mesa

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Mon Jan 24 15:53:18 PST 2005

On Llu, 2005-01-24 at 23:41, Jon Trulson wrote:
> > There seems to be an Nvidia specific implementation of OpenGL and several
> > Nvidia extensions, but my gut says to stay away from them as applications
> > written using them may not port.  Is this correct?
> >

>          As I work for XiG, it would probably not be appropriate for me to
> comment harshly on this :)
>
>          If the extension is specific to a vendor, then of course you will
> have to stick with that vendor for the future (or dump the extension you
> are depending on).

Nvidia have some packaging issues about trashing existing libraries that
makes their stuff a PITA to remove but their compatibility is extremely
good and I've not seen library issues between Mesa and the Nvidia guys.

Much as I loathe their proprietary driver licensing their engineering is
very very good indeed.

Alan