Disable xterm and XRX builds per default / [Fwd: CVS Update: xc (branch: trunk)]

Jakub Piotr Cłapa loc at toya.net.pl
Mon Jan 24 11:28:03 PST 2005

Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 07:05:25PM +0100, Jakub Piotr Cłapa wrote:
>
>>Daniel Stone wrote:
>>
>>I agree. Maybe there would be some use for ./configure time (I know we
>>don't have any ./configure i Xorg but I hope you see the point) message
>>informing about places to find packages tuned for your distribution.
>
> This could be useful, but most distributions will not provide packages in the
> case that the user is looking for them -- in my case, if a user of Ubuntu's 4.10
> release (which shipped XFree86 4.3.0) is looking for X.Org packages, we will not
> provide them for that release.  We only provide X.Org packages for the upcoming
> 5.04 release (our current development branch), and people who are running that
> branch already have the packages anyway.  So I'm not convinced that these
> warnings would serve much useful purpose.

Right. I'm not sure about this too. It could help to direct the users
who think they need to compile everything by hand but OTOH it can became
a maintenace nightmare and be always outdated.

>>It's not a problem for us (PLD) because almost all of our users know
>>when to find the newest versions of packages since we have an RPM specs
>>CVS repository with very liberal access means (contarary to Debian).
>
> Debian's repositories are, of course, open to all.  It just has a different
> access method -- FTP or HTTP, as opposed to CVS.  The X Strike Force for Debian
> has a Subversion repository, too (a public one).

AFAIK there are more problems with getting packages into the
distribution than there are in PLD (of course this have both advantages
and disadvantages).

--
Regards,
Jakub Piotr Cłapa