Disable xterm and XRX builds per default / [Fwd: CVS Update: xc (branch: trunk)]

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Mon Jan 24 10:28:01 PST 2005

On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 07:05:25PM +0100, Jakub Piotr Cłapa wrote:
> Daniel Stone wrote:
> >I can certainly see usefulness in having all the distributions maintain all
> >their patches somewhere public (I have to take at least some
> >responsibility for
> >hoarding patches here; however, I'm slowly clearing out everything I
> >have), but
> >certainly not the packaging structure.  That crosses the line between
> >upstream
> >and distribution stuff.  We maintain upstream stuff upstream, and
> >distributions
> >maintain distribution-specific stuff within their distribution.  This is
> >what
> >makes sense to me, and why I dislike maintaining distribution-specific
> >packaging
> >structures upstream (or: why none of the packages Daniel maintains have
> >debian/
> >dirs in the upstream source).
>
> I agree. Maybe there would be some use for ./configure time (I know we
> don't have any ./configure i Xorg but I hope you see the point) message
> informing about places to find packages tuned for your distribution.

This could be useful, but most distributions will not provide packages in the
case that the user is looking for them -- in my case, if a user of Ubuntu's 4.10
release (which shipped XFree86 4.3.0) is looking for X.Org packages, we will not
provide them for that release.  We only provide X.Org packages for the upcoming
5.04 release (our current development branch), and people who are running that
branch already have the packages anyway.  So I'm not convinced that these
warnings would serve much useful purpose.

> It's not a problem for us (PLD) because almost all of our users know
> when to find the newest versions of packages since we have an RPM specs
> CVS repository with very liberal access means (contarary to Debian).

Debian's repositories are, of course, open to all.  It just has a different
access method -- FTP or HTTP, as opposed to CVS.  The X Strike Force for Debian
has a Subversion repository, too (a public one).