composite on G5

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Sun Jan 23 13:25:14 PST 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 20:49 -0800, Jorge Campos wrote:
> Well, I've tried it on KDE and 'xcompmgr -c' still turns all windows gray.

FWIW, it works fine here with GNOME/Oroborus. It also kinda works with
WindowMaker (corruption on the root window) and GNOME/Metacity (X server
crashes sooner or later).

> Also, I couldn't quite figure out how to tell 'make' to compile the
> XServer in 32-bit mode.

Not sure either, might be as simple as pointing it to a 32 bit compiler,
or maybe a full cross-build is needed.

> I noticed that you are able to run xcompmgr on your Apple laptop... I'm
> assuming its a G4

Yes.

> (hence, 32-bits=no problems).

Let's not jump to conclusions. Have you tried changing the depth?

> The XServer runs fine without starting up xcompmgr... so I'm wondering
> if xcompmgr is causing the problem b/c I believe xcompmgr.c was last
> modified in October whereas the composite code for the  XServer has
> been updated as recently as yesterday.

I'm using xcompmgr 1.1.1+cvs.20041109-0ubuntu2 and the Ubuntu 6.8 X
packages, so if you're running X from CVS HEAD, there might indeed have
been a regression there.