new radeon tiling patch

Roland Scheidegger rscheidegger_lists at hispeed.ch
Mon Jan 17 12:34:40 PST 2005

Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-01-15 at 03:29 +0100, Roland Scheidegger wrote:
>
>>One question I still have though is regarding to the surface setup, I'm
>>actually not convinced the addresses are correct in all cases, because I
>>don't understand how all that address translation stuff works. So
>>currently the addresses which are used always start from 0 (which
>>usually is the framebuffer location), but I'm not so sure if that's
>>correct for instance for igps regarding how this looks to the gpu.
>

> There's no difference between IGP and non-IGP, this simply isn't correct
> with recent DDX and DRM.
Looked at it again, and you're right.

> The location of the framebuffer as seen by the
> GPU needs is defined by MC_FB_LOCATION. All current components have
> fields named along the lines of ...->fbLocation for that.
I've done some tests, and this doesn't seem to be true for the surface
regs. Maybe the addresses there are already relative to MC_FB_LOCATION.

I've uploaded a new version here:
http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/dri_experimental/radeon_tiling_ddx8.diff
http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/dri_experimental/radeon_tiling_dri8.diff
http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/dri_experimental/radeon_tiling_drm8.diff

This one should have mergedfb + mixed interlaced/non-interlaced
resolutions fixed (untested), fixed some errors with pageflip in some
resolutions (backbuffer alignment problem), fixed a copy & paste error
in the non-core drm version, and it actually auto-refreshes the screen
when switching between a tiled and untiled resolution...
Also should correct depth read/write problems with rv100 cards, which
seem to not always use depth tiling.
It also enables color tiling by default.
Last but not least, it implements the versioning scheme as suggested on
the ml (i.e boost ddx major when color tiling is used, and dri accepts a
range of ddx versions).

If noone has objections, I'm going to commit this (minus some printfs)
soon (consider yourself warned ;-)). Though I don't quite know if the
drm/dri changes should also be applied to xorg cvs.

Roland