porting from SGIs to Linux?

Ralph Thomas ralpht at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 23:21:08 PST 2005

I did most of the work making the IRIX desktop run on XFree86 at SGI,
so I have some experience with this.

If you only use PseudoColor for altering image colors then you might
try using the "SGI_color_table" OpenGL extension -- you can draw your
image as an OpenGL texture map on a GLXWindow and then use the color
table to change how it gets drawn). There is documentation available
here:

http://www.opengl.org/resources/tutorials/advanced/advanced97/notes/node133.html
http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?coll=0650&db=man&fname=/usr/share/catman/g_man/cat3/OpenGL/glcolortable.z&srch=glColorTable

Often widget code on SGI machines uses the overlay planes (which are
accessed through a PseudoColor visual). You can either use the XSHAPE
extension (for something like dragging an icon) or do drawing
differently (for a rubber band you might draw the lines using XOR
twice instead of using the overlay planes).

ICS offer ViewKit, and also offer consulting services and support
contracts. See: http://www.ics.com/ for more information.

Best regards,
 Ralph

--