radeon_cursor

Vladimir Dergachev volodya at mindspring.com
Sun Jan 2 12:19:30 PST 2005

Hi all,

  I've been looking at ati/radeon_cursor.c and I've been having problems
understanding how the driver ensures that the video engine is idle which
swapping cursor.

  My understanding is that the cursor update runs in a separate thread (as
the mouse still works when the server is otherwise locked up).

  However, CURSOR_SWAPPING_START() does not contain anything to wait for
engine idle, which seems to imply that we can be writing cursor data while
the engine is busy.

  This is indeed what I see with R300 - when glxtest is running full speed
I get a lockup when mouse crosses window boundaries (this involves
changing cursor shape because of window manager).

  On the other hand, I am aware that this does not appear to cause lockup
in plain Radeons and R200 cards.

  Would anyone know why ?

                        thank you !

                             Vladimir Dergachev