X needs 99% CPU with gravitywars on radeon 9200

Dominique Dumont domi.dumont at free.fr
Mon Feb 28 09:51:32 PST 2005

Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net> writes:

> Huh? That option shouldn't have any impact on glxgears. Have you
> verified that the option is recognized and used by the X server? Also
> make sure that write-combining is enabled for the framebuffer.

Sorry, something else must have changed in my set up I used when I
wrote my first mail about his problem 3 weeks ago. Removing
XaaNoScanlineImageWriteRect option does not change the flxgears
perf. I'm still around 2100 fps.

Anyway, I think that write-combining is enabled, but this is a moot
point now:

  (==) RADEON(0): Write-combining range (0xc0000000,0x8000000)

> I guess you'll find a lot more games that don't deal well with the
> throughput to the framebuffer not meeting their expectations...

I'm not sure that I understand all the implications of your
statement. But anyway, from a common user point of view, this is a
regression from XFree. This will probably need to be addressed. (But I
really don't know how...)

Cheers