X needs 99% CPU with gravitywars on radeon 9200

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Sun Feb 27 19:52:51 PST 2005

On Sun, 2005-02-27 at 10:51 +0100, Dominique Dumont wrote:
> Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net> writes:
>
> >> I've verified that hardware acceleration works fine: I get about 1500
> >> fps with glxgears (and tuxracer is playable).
> >
> > Does Option "XaaNoScanlineImageWriteRect" work around the problem?
>
> No, but I get around 2100 fps with glxgears ...

Huh? That option shouldn't have any impact on glxgears. Have you
verified that the option is recognized and used by the X server? Also
make sure that write-combining is enabled for the framebuffer.

> >> Does anyone have similar problems with gravitywars (or SDL) with xorg
> >> or radeon cards ?
> >
> > I think gravitywars could deal better with the X server not keeping up.
>
> It's not obly a problem with gravitywars. I get the same kind of
> problems with circuslinux.

I guess you'll find a lot more games that don't deal well with the
throughput to the framebuffer not meeting their expectations...