New Release Manager (Was: Status of xserver/debrix/modulartree?)

Jim Gettys Jim.Gettys at hp.com
Mon Feb 21 08:37:07 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 00:38 +0800, Rogelio Serrano wrote:

>Im afraid it has to go. People will be cursing us ten years from now
>if we try to keep a bad decision alive for so long.

If you want Xprint to go away, then get coding on Xt/Motif replacements
for Xprint...  With Cairo making good progress, this is probably
feasible.

Realistically, applications there (which, btw, in terms of numbers
greatly outnumber the typical open source applications still; many
corporations have many line of business UNIX applications coded in the
1989-2001 era, now being ported to Linux) have many years before
replacement.  And telling people that stuff that once worked doesn't
work anymore isn't an answer in my book.

That doesn't mean we should warp future progress by Xprint; I don't want
to see any wider use, as it is not where the future is.
				- Jim