Disable xterm and XRX builds per default / [Fwd: CVS Update: xc (branch: trunk)]

Mike A. Harris mharris at www.linux.org.uk
Thu Feb 17 02:55:17 PST 2005

Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 12:57:47PM +0100, Egbert Eich wrote:
>
>>I'm not sure if the distribution specific configuration stuff in linux.cf
>>(so far it only esists for RedHat and Debian) is still used today.
>

> Both Debian and Ubuntu patch linux.cf to heavily modify the LinuxDebian section
> -- these are changes that can be moved upstream, and indeed were proposed for
> 6.8.x -- as a generic patch, and then as a distribution-specific patch (patches
> numbered 900 and above should not be merged upstream), we define DebianMainter
> to be YES.
>
> So, yes, we use it after a fashion.  But I would definitely prefer that they
> weren't there at all.
>

>>If not it may be removed - but this should be done by someone representing
>>the distro.
>>If it is however chosen to keep this distro specific stuff around I would
>>like to see it moved to separate files.
>

> I would like it to be removed altogether.  It would be a bad idea even if it
> wasn't so utterly woefully out of sync with the distributions, which it is.

I can't speak for other distributions, but the reason LinuxRedhat
section of linux.cf is totally useless and outdated by like 6 years,
is because patches to that section to fix it were refused by the
implementation of X11 previously shipped by Red Hat prior to
X.Org.  I got tired of submitting patches upstream to change
a few defaults and having them rejected with no useful reason
given, so I stopped caring, and just used host.def

In my opinion, there should be individual per-vendor files like
Egbert suggested, so we'd have:

linux.cf           (generic linux default overrides)
linux-redhat.cf    (Red Hat specific overrides included from linux.cf)
linux-debian.cf    (Debian specific....)
etc.

Of course this is only relevant as long as Imake exists, which is
hopefully not long. ;o)