Disable xterm and XRX builds per default / [Fwd: CVS Update: xc (branch: trunk)]

Mike A. Harris mharris at www.linux.org.uk
Thu Feb 17 02:50:12 PST 2005

Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 04:27:04PM +0100, Egbert Eich wrote:
>
>>Thomas Dickey writes:
>> >
>> > that's odd, since there are a few hundred commits in XFree86 tree for xterm.
>>
>>Thomas,
>>
>>that's correct - I know as I myself have committed code there.
>>
>>The question remains if this is a satisfactory solution for you
>>as the primary maintainer of this software being that you are
>>hosting the xterm sources outside of the huge monolithic tree.
>>
>>You will have to keep things in sync making sure you don't loose
>>any valid changes that went into any of the monolithic trees.
>

> Alternately, we could treat it as an 'extras' project that X.Org imports and
> just do all patches through Thomas, which is what would make most sense to me.

I would certainly hope that people send xterm patches directly to
Thomas, and not just check them into Xorg CVS.  Thomas maintains
xterm, and having Xorg or XFree86 apply patches to their local
copies outside of Thomas' official xterm tree is essentially
unofficially forking the codebase and potentially causing
nightmares.

However, I suppose sane distributions supply Thomas' official
xterm obtained directly from him, so wont experience potential
problems from possibly modified forks.  ;o)