Problem with ProjectRoot and "make DESTDIR=foo"

Alexander Gottwald alexander.gottwald at s1999.tu-chemnitz.de
Thu Feb 17 02:31:26 PST 2005

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> I got no replies publically or privately from this.  If anyone
> has pointers to documentation that covers this, or knows the
> details of how DESTDIR and ProjectRoot interactions are intended
> to work, I'd appreciate some feedback.

afaik DESTDIR is just prepended to every install action. At least the
6.8.1.904 honoured DESTDIR and installed everything in $(DESTDIR)/ProjectRoot
and $(DESTDIR)/etc.

> > #define ProjectRoot                     /usr/local/X11R6
> > #define NothingOutsideProjectRoot       YES
> > #define EtcX11Directory                 ProjectRoot/etc

> > If I'm not mistaken, the last time I used ProjectRoot was with 6.8.0,
> > but outside of rpm building context and it worked ok.  I haven't tested
> > current 6.8.1.903 with a similar build outside of rpm, but I'm assuming
> > nothing has regressed.  My assumption is that DESTDIR does not work
> > exactly how I envisioned it to work, and that my above "make install"
> > lines only worked correctly before because I _wasn't_ using ProjectRoot
> > in the rpm spec file.

I've not packaged XORG-6.8.* so far but my 6.8.7 install rule starts with

make install DESTDIR=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT
make install.man DESTDIR=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT

6.8.1.904 was compiled to install to /scratch/X11R6.8.2 and worked fine
with $(DESTDIR) and without.

bye
	ago
 Alexander.Gottwald at s1999.tu-chemnitz.de