[RFC] PDA as a TCP graphic tablet?

Guennadi Liakhovetski g.liakhovetski at gmx.de
Sun Dec 25 10:34:24 PST 2005

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005, Diego Calleja wrote:

> "generic" drivers have sense, if all the graphic tables share a lot
> of funcionality and you can share a lot of code and you can add
> support for new devices cleanly, etc. But when the devices are very
> different internally the advantage disappears because no matter how
> clean your code is, once you start to add "special hacks" the
> mainteinance is much harder and writing two completely different
> drivers may be a better choice. So I'd say that "it depends"

Sure, but look at, for example, gimp. It can use a graphic tablet - a
"generic" one. It doesn't care what make it is. Same for mice - just look
at the X' mouse driver and see how many "special" hacks for various
specific mice it has. So, I'd say, it should be possible to define a
generic tablet interface with at least some minimalistic functionality
that all of them implement.

Well, I could, probably, try to hack up some /dev/eventX-compatible
micro-driver, but the idea of having to compile (at least some parts of)
an X-server doesn't particularly please me:-) I'd just rip off some parts
of wacom...

Thanks
Guennadi
---