[RFC] PDA as a TCP graphic tablet?

Guennadi Liakhovetski g.liakhovetski at gmx.de
Sun Dec 25 09:42:28 PST 2005

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005, Diego Calleja wrote:

> El Sun, 25 Dec 2005 00:41:38 +0100 (CET),
> Guennadi Liakhovetski <g.liakhovetski at gmx.de> escribió:
>
> > If there is already a driver I could reasonable (ab)use, ideally it should
> > only use read/write on the fd. If it uses ioctl's, well, that would mean I
> > would have to write a kernel driver too. Not too dramatic, but not exactly
> > the ideal solution.
>

> It should be easier than all that - we have a 9P port in the linux tree
> since 2.6.14. 9P should allow you to export any (not just your tablet)
> device to other machines. I don't know if the linux infrastructure
> is enought to make it possible, though

Wow! Interesting - just read about it and recalled my earlier post to lkml
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=113183899315627&w=2
...but that's OT.

Now, that's interesting, but - there are lots of possibilities how to
export an interface from one machine to another, some more elegant, other
more simple, etc. My problem is, however, how to present my
_already_imported_ device to X? Whether to abouse wacon_drv.o, or write a
new one... Like, there's a generic mouse driver, generic keyboard, so, if
I were to export a keyboard, I would surely just use that generic
X-driver. There's even one (off-tree) evtouch driver - for a generic
touchscreen. But there's no generic graphic tablet driver for X.

Thanks
Guennadi
---
Guennadi Liakhovetski