Xorg 7.0 RC3 (and 1 & 2): Can't start X on PCI Radeon

Ricky Rivera ricky.rivera at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 09:09:16 PST 2005

On 12/8/05, Dave Airlie <airlied at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Did that include not enabling the DRI, using XAA instead of EXA, ... ?
> >
> > The VideoRam directive is definitely incorrect, but I doubt it's causing
> > this problem.
>
> If it works with DRI disabled, I'd bet the bus mastering patch is
> causing this...
>
> Dave.

I've tried it with both DRI enabled & disabled, and neither seems to change
much.  I hadn't tried EXA on the PCI card (this is the third Device in the
config), but I've tried it now with and without DRI, and results seem to be
identical.

I'm not really sure why the VideoRam is incorrect.  I didn't have it in
there before, but then I noticed when going through the logs to try to solve
this problem that X was detecting it as an 8 meg card.  Unless I am the
victim of some severe false advertisement, it is in actuality a 32 meg
card.  The AGP seems to get correctly detected as having 32MB.

It is perhaps worth noting that the card activates and works fine under
Windows (and used to work under 6.8), so I don't think it's a hardware
problem.  Windows also considers it a 32 meg card, for what it's worth.

Thanks again,
Ricky