Compaq R3306US laptop: second display not initialized correctly

Michael L. Wright mlw-xorg at mrserver.net
Tue Dec 6 14:07:44 PST 2005

Hi,

After much research, much of which was wild-goose-chases after the nvidia
proprietary driver, I've come to a dead end.

The problem is simple.  This laptop has a VGA socket for an external monitor.
The key combination Fn-F4 switches between internal-external-both.  When I
start X, whichever screen is active/primary (depending on the Fn-F4 switching
state) is correctly initialized.  The other is initialized to a
character-mode state which the server then writes to but the output is only a
colorful, unreadable mosaic that changes with the main display.  Switching
then only turns one or the other off but does not result in a correct
display.

Computer:
Compaq R3306US (AMD Athlon 3000+)

Video:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 420 Go
32M] (rev a3)

X:
xorg-x11-6.8.2-1.FC3.45.2.i386.rpm

Any help or a pointer to a solution will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Michael

Michael L. Wright
System Administrator, MRServer, Inc. & Vashti.Net
Email: mlw-xorg at MRServer.Net
Voice: 850-877-0050

"What do sad complaints avail if the offense is not cut down by punishment?"
 - anonymous spammer