Ripe for adding new modelines?

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Thu Aug 25 12:58:14 PDT 2005

On Thursday 25 August 2005 12:47, Philip Prindeville wrote:
> Actually, those don't look like standard timings to me.
>
> The 1920x1080i should be 60Hz, for instance.
>
> I drive my Dell 2405FPW with the EDID suggested timing of:
>
> ModeLine     "1920x1200 at 60" 154.0 1920 1968 2000 2080 1200 1203 1209 1235
>
> The timing is more a function of the controller that they put into
> the monitor than the actual LCD screen itself.

There is, in fact, a spec for LCD modelines.  It's called CVT, and at least
nvidia's driver implements it directly.  However VESA are big meanies and
make you pay to see the formula.

While it would be nice if we'd properly use the suggested timings from DDC, we
should also attempt to add some standard CVT timings to the builtin mode
list.  CVT support in the gtf(1) utility would also be lovely.

- ajax