Ripe for adding new modelines?

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Thu Aug 11 18:23:58 PDT 2005

I was just looking at:

Xserver/hw/xfree86/etc/extramodes

and noticed it's been relatively unchanging the last 2-3 years...

I also noticed that there are a lot of laptop and LCD monitor modes
(such as 1680x1050 or 1920x1200) which aren't VESA norms but
have become defacto standards.

Further, timing modes for PAL/SECAM, ATSC, NTSC, and the
various DVD and HD modes should probably also find a home
here (like 1280x720, 1440x960, etc).

With TV-out becoming more prevalent, wouldn't this be A Good
Thing?

Or am I missing something?

Speaking from personal experience, I've used monitors (like the Dell
2005FPW) that report *wrong* timing modes via DDC/EDID and
had to tweak them by hand or via xvidtune...  Or else I've googled
modelines hoping that someone out there had already done the
homework and figured out what the appropriate timings were.  I'd
like to see other people spared having to do the same, and "just have
it work" instead.

-Philip