contributing new font package for xorg (fwd)

Qianqian Fang fangq at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Thu Aug 11 11:16:41 PDT 2005

hi all

thank you for the intensive discussions on our font. The major reason for
trying to contribute this font to xorg instead of recommending it to various
distributions is that the font issue is always one of the biggest headaches
for most CJK users (if you are one of them, you may feel so too). This
happened for almost all distributions. I think xorg is the most fundamental
and efficient solution for solving this issue: the CJK users, a big growing
sector while somewhat being ignored, get fundamental but nice font support on
their linux boxes and enjoying more of their freedom. On the other hand, to
create this font is seriously thousands of hours of works (just count our
15,000 new glyphs and tens of thousands of modified glyphs, not mentioning
other previous works). From our perspective, let xorg distribute it is the
best way to value the contributions of our team members. And also, to let the
open-source community get this package as early as possible, it will have
more opportunities to grow and do more good for the community.

So, I think this are bilateral benefits, and I don't think a few megabytes
more space is a issue here (given the intensive works we have spent, as well
as the quality of the font).

I have sent inquiry to Dave at FSF about the license issue, i will let you
guys know his feedback. As far as our goals are the same - serving the
open-source community - there are always something we can do to make this
happen.

thank you.

Qianqian