contributing new font package for xorg (fwd)

Thu Aug 11 10:28:13 PDT 2005

Jon Smirl wrote:
> This brings into play a question of fairness. If we all agree that the
> font is technically correct, how are we to judge which fonts get
> included and which don't? We all know Bitstream donated Vera, it's
> visible everytime we choose a font. Shouldn't this visibilty and wide
> distribution be extended to other font authors? Xorg needs a published
> policy on the criteria for inclusion for this to be fair.

I agree that we need to publish our criteria for inclusion in Xorg, both
for fonts and packages in general, but I believe for the specific example
you raised, the Bitstream Vera fonts, X11R7.0 will not include them, but
will simply include a note telling people to get them from
http://www.gnome.org/fonts/.

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com