A new home for xscope?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Aug 2 12:30:43 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 14:00 -0500, mcnichol at austin.ibm.com wrote:
> > From: Mark McLoughlin <markmc at redhat.com>
> >
> > On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 11:21 -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> > >
> > > The problem with xscope had been licensing. Now that the original author
> > > found a version with regular MIT licensing, we need to take that and
> > > merge the other changes into it so we can have a free software version
> > > and distribute it with X.org.
> >
> > 	Okay, where's this original version to be found?

James Peterson, the original author of xscope recently sent me a version
with an MIT license on it.

http://freedesktop.org/~keithp/xscope-peterson.tar.gz

> I seem to remember first seeing xscope and xmon in the R5 contrib code.

The xscope as distributed back then was a version with a non-free
license.

Taking the MIT licensed version from James and merging in the various
additions from other versions would create a free software variant which
could be placed in X.org CVS.

You do need to get permission from authors of the additional code to
release it under an MIT license if it isn't already so licensed.

-keith