Input Devices

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Tue Aug 2 03:41:10 PDT 2005

Attached some bright shiny pictures that reflect my current understanding.

The "X Configuration Client" asks "HAL" for available input devices, opens
them, and passes the open file descriptor on to the "X server".

The "X Configuration Client" will be informed by "HAL" when a new device gets
plugged in.

In the absence of "HAL" the "X Configuration Client" can fall back to a static
configuration file.

The "X Configuration Client" uses the DBUS² session bus to inform the "X
server" about new devices (equivalent of XAddInputDevice)

Comments?

Can/should this be expanded to output devices as well? How would a modesetting
library fit in?

Cheers,
Waldo