projectroot makes ld not work

Felix Kühling fxkuehl at gmx.de
Tue Apr 26 13:44:50 PDT 2005

Am Dienstag, den 26.04.2005, 16:17 +0200 schrieb Christoffer
Brodd-Reijer:
> I want to compile the CVS of xorg and not install it over my existing
> xorg. So I read the CVS page on the xorg wiki. My intentions are to
> install DRI and DRM for my VIA video card (following a guide at
> http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/Building, but this one installs over the
> existing xorg). So I fetched the cvs and the host.def from
> http://freedesktop.org/~fxkuehl/host.def. Now I added #define
> ProjectRoot and NothingOutsideProjectRoot, so I could install this new
> xorg at some location and then just make a symlink.
>
> When I tried to compile I got this error:
[...]

I do the same myself. The problem is that the partial build relies on
some headers and libs from XFree86/Xorg being installed in ProjectRoot
before the build. Try this (assuming ProjectRoot is set
to /usr/X11R6-XORG):

cd /usr
mkdir X11R6-XORG
cd X11R6-XORG
mkdir include lib
lndir ../X11R6/include include
lndir ../X11R6/lib lib
rm -rf lib/modules

(The last line may be necessary to avoid conflicts between old and new
modules. Make sure that you don't run this in the wrong directory.)

After that run make World in your Xorg source tree.

Mvh,
  Felix

--
| Felix Kühling <fxkuehl at gmx.de>                     http://fxk.de.vu |
| PGP Fingerprint: 6A3C 9566 5B30 DDED 73C3  B152 151C 5CC1 D888 E595 |