killer feature for XOrg.

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sun Apr 17 18:03:25 PDT 2005

somekool at gmail.com wrote:

> there is something I always wish xfree would do but never did, and I feel now
> with XOrg, its possible. I would like every X Client (window) to be
> detachable likes the command line utility screen and then I would like to be
> able to kill my X server, reattach the client whenever I want on whatever X
> server I want, even remote X.
>
> so we could have window manager offering to the user "Send this window to ..."
> and you could send a window to your friend running a X server too...
>
> in fact, it would detach the window and reattach it somewhere else.
>
> what do you guys think ?

It isn't realistic to implement this at the X protocol or Xlib levels.
Too many things would need to be changed that it wouldn't really be X
any more (i.e. you're talking about The Y Window System, not X12 and
certainly not X11R<something>).

More viable solutions are:

1. A toolkit which could reconstruct widget trees from scratch as
required.

2. A proxy X server.

Regarding #2, you can already do essentially what you are suggesting
to entire sessions using Xvnc. Doing it on a per-window basis would
bring up some interesting issues with relationships between windows
which were on different physical servers.