keyboard module missing

Christoffer Brodd-Reijer ephracis at linux.se
Sat Apr 16 04:00:27 PDT 2005

I am struggling with drivers for my video card which requires that I
compile xorg with DRI and a lot of other stuff. So I managed to compile
some XvMC stuff and put it into the xorg build tree (or how I should put
it, I'm a first timer) along with the via driver for unichrome. I then
backuped /usr/X11R6/lib/modules and installed xorg. When I restarted it
saw that the new xorg only had the via_drv.o in the driver dir
(/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers), beside that driver there was no other
drivers! Why did not xorg install any drivers?

I then thought I could copy every .o file from the old driver dir, but
that was just a wild guess and it did not succeed. So I removed the new
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules dir and replaced it with my old one. Now here is
a interesting thing. When I tried to start xorg it gave me these errors:

$ cat /root/xorg-logbackup-1.log | grep EE
(II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
(EE) Failed to load module "Keyboard" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) No Input driver matching `Keyboard'

Why was that one missing, and how come that the new xorg did not have
any drivers at all? Lucky for me I had made a backup of the entire
/usr/X11R6 so I could go back. But should this be? I, forgot to mention,
I was using the CVS version of xorg.

Christoffer