Dual card setup

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 11:26:24 PDT 2005

On 4/15/05, Stefan Baltus <stefan at cps-i.nl> wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I have a solaris 10 machine with Xorg installed that has two video cards (one
> on board VIA vga chip and a matrox AGP or PCI card). I'd like to use the VIA
> onboard vga as a mere console (all boot stuff, etc) and the matrox running in a
> 1280x1024  resolution. I have a few questions about this (one is not really
> X related, but you never know :)):
>
> 1. is it possible to make the on-board vga the primary card so boot messages
>    go there and nowhere else?

check your bios for an option for which vga device is treated as the primary.

> 2. is this a supported configuration by Xorg? If yes: how can I address both
>    cards separately?

you probably can't use an AGP card in conjunction with the onboard
video since there can only be one agp device.  To get dualhead, you'll
need to use a PCI add in card.  Also without the isolate card patchs,
I think xorg may mess with all the vga cards in your system regardless
of whether it is actively running on then all or not.

Alex