finding process id of a window

Tue Apr 5 07:59:03 PDT 2005

Jonas Gall wrote:
> On Apr 5, 2005 6:13 AM, Yossi.Itzkovich at ecitele.com
> <Yossi.Itzkovich at ecitele.com> wrote:
>

>>Thanks Marcus,
>>
>>How can I know (in advance) that my window manager supports this property ?
>>I use dtwm (wich CDE).
>>

> On Solaris (CDE and Gnome) you may use XTSOLgetClientAttributes():

On Trusted Solaris, not regular Solaris (hence the "TSOL" in the name).
There's no way I know of on regular Solaris for another client to get
this information, unless the client being probed supports the _NET_WM_PID
discussed earlier.   (The server can get it on some OS'es, and has it on
Solaris for the interactive process priority control extension.   I've made
dcmds for the Solaris mdb debugger that can print a table of the process ids
of all local clients, and dtrace hooks to print it out as well on Solaris
10, but both of those require root privelege on the machine running the X
server and only work for local clients.)

Random thought:  should Xlib simply set the WM_PID on all clients in
XOpenDisplay()?   Or would some clients not want it ever set?

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com