kernel 2.6.9-rc2-mm2 vs glxgears

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Sep 24 05:55:03 PDT 2004

On Friday 24 September 2004 00:36, Dave Airlie wrote:
>AGP 8x vs 4x is off little realworld value, with gears you will see
>absolutely no difference so it probably isn't that...

I didn't figure it would have an effect, mainly because theres a
1/10th x smaller piece of pipe someplace else...

>you can easily
>get 8x, set your Xorg.conf file to have agpmode 2 instead of 4 .. I
>think it works for me ...

Its not specified at all in that file Dave.  What section would that
be added to, in the video card section?  Or the supported protocols
list?  Its not mentioned in the xorg.conf manpages either.  Humm, what
the command to have X install new manpages?  I may not have done that
for the 6.8.1 install.  I did for the 6.8 but that apparently put in
stuff that all references 6.7...  I read the Makefile, its
install.man, and it still doesn't "grep -R agpmode *" in the doc dir
of the X build.

>I asked you on lk but you never answered or I didn't see it, but
> what does 2.6.8.1 do? Linus clean kernel no -mm patches.. also
> 2.6.9-rc2... I've barely enough time to track Linus, Andrews
> kernels are way to experiemental for doing work on ...

I've found that, generally speaking, the mm patches after mm1 are
generally fairly stable because the first couple of mm's seem to fix
the 'hey this don't work anymore' bugs in the main release.  Plus if
I'm looking for a specific fix, it seems to get ito the mm's before
anyplace else.

As for 2.6.8.1 IIRC glxgears ran at around 240 fps.  I'll try the
2.6.8.1 in the morning again just to check, amanda is running right
now and she really, really, hates to be disturbed. :)

Ok, morning, but I found I didn't have a 2.6.8.1 to test with, as
close as I could get was 2.6.8.1-mm2, (the fedora core 2.6.8.1-521
panics at pivot-root time, another of the many reasons I have an
exclude kernel* line in my yum.conf) and it ran like this on the
2.6.8.1-mm2 boot:

[root at coyote bin]# glxgears
1156 frames in 5.0 seconds = 231.200 FPS
1120 frames in 5.0 seconds = 224.000 FPS
1260 frames in 5.0 seconds = 252.000 FPS
1120 frames in 5.0 seconds = 224.000 FPS
1120 frames in 5.0 seconds = 224.000 FPS
1260 frames in 5.0 seconds = 252.000 FPS
1120 frames in 5.0 seconds = 224.000 FPS
1260 frames in 5.0 seconds = 252.000 FPS
1120 frames in 5.0 seconds = 224.000 FPS
1121 frames in 5.0 seconds = 224.200 FPS
1287 frames in 5.0 seconds = 257.400 FPS

and used all the cpu doing it just like rc2-mm2 does.  So thats the
bext compare I can make here without dl'ing 2.6.8.1 and building it
again.

One of the kernel janitors put up a patch, almost a 1 liner last night
that fixed things here, taking me from 10 fps back to the above
perfomance, search for radeon, and MS_TO_HZ removal in favor of
another method of doing the jiffies.  John Smirl says thats portable
backlight control code that shouldn't effect me on my crt display,
but it sure fixed me right up anyway.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)