kernel 2.6.9-rc2-mm2 vs glxgears

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Sep 23 21:32:33 PDT 2004

On Friday 24 September 2004 00:13, Jon Smirl wrote:
>Is this patch in your source?

Yes, John.  I even tried that a couple of kernel versions back, but
couldn't see that it had any effect one way or the other.

But, a 70% fix just came by from the kernel janitors in the form of a
patch posted to lkml about 45 mins ago replaceing the MS_TO_HZ call
in the radeon driver with a different macro, and now my glxgears are
running at a fairly steady 250 fps rather than a nice steady 10 fps.
That won't run tuxracer yet, but its a step in the right direction
until the radeon driver gets all the ATI tricks bred into it, and AG
8x support gets into X.  Its currently running my 8x stuff at 4x
according to /var/log/messages:

Sep 23 23:44:40 coyote kernel: agpgart: Found an AGP 3.0 compliant
device at 0000:00:00.0.
Sep 23 23:44:40 coyote kernel: agpgart: Putting AGP V3 device at
0000:00:00.0 into 4x mode
Sep 23 23:44:40 coyote kernel: agpgart: Putting AGP V3 device at
0000:02:00.0 into 4x mode
Sep 23 23:44:40 coyote kernel: [drm] Loading R200 Microcode

[snip patch]

Thanks for keeping me in mind John, I appreciate it.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)