Fonts and XKB problems

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Sun Sep 19 18:36:31 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-20 at 11:03, Kristian Høgsberg wrote:

> I don't have PPC hardware to try this out on, but my guess is that a
> change in behaviour from the old keyboard driver to the new driver have
> caused PPC platforms to rely on XKB for VT switching (as it should, when
> XKB is enabled).  The problem is that the XKB symbol file for PPC
> (/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/macintosh/us) doesn't include the
> definitions for the VT switch symbols.  Try adding the line
>
>      include "srvr_ctrl(xfree86)"
>
> to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/macintosh/us around line 250.

Ok, I did a quick try, it didn't work, but I may have done something
wrong, I'll go back to the drawing board.

One thing I think I should try doing is to drop my hack that defines
LALT as Mode_switch, and instead, simply define my alternate characters
obtained with Shift+Alt+key normally, provided I understand how the actual
modifiers things work. There are N columns in the keymap file for each
keycode, do they match the N modifiers or what ?

I'm really lost trying to understand the format of xkb config files at
the moment. Once I've understood enough of it, I beleive I should be
able to write a tool building Mac xkb keymaps once for all from the
MacOS X ones.

Ben.