Fonts and XKB problems

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Sun Sep 19 18:03:19 PDT 2004

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> Hi !

> 2) Keyboard. For ages, I've been carrying an old hacked keymap that
> works for French "mac" keyboards. They have a few weird things, like the
> pipe "|" is obtained with shift-alt-L or the tilde "~" (which is a dead
> key) with alt-N. Part of the "fix" to get that working was to define alt
> as Mode_switch.. that and more hacks that I don't really understand
> since I'm almost clueless about XKB (sorry guys, out of the kernel I'm
> lost :) The problem is that while this keymap still works for | or ~,
> when it's loaded, I can no longer switch virtual consoles with
> meta-alt-Fn. While this works fine with my old XFree it doesn't with
> X.org. Any clue in fixing that keymap properly once for all is
> appreciated so we can maybe commit it to the X.org CVS... I enclosed my
> old hacked one from symbols/macintosh/fr

Hi,

I don't have PPC hardware to try this out on, but my guess is that a
change in behaviour from the old keyboard driver to the new driver have
caused PPC platforms to rely on XKB for VT switching (as it should, when
XKB is enabled).  The problem is that the XKB symbol file for PPC
(/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/macintosh/us) doesn't include the
definitions for the VT switch symbols.  Try adding the line

     include "srvr_ctrl(xfree86)"

to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/macintosh/us around line 250.

Kristian

(See also https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/process_bug.cgi)