reproducing the old "tinyx" server

Paul Fox pgf at foxharp.boston.ma.us
Fri Sep 17 06:21:14 PDT 2004

hi -- i'm an xorg newbie.  have patience.

i have a handheld device on which i run the current debian testing
releases.  it has a 640x480 16bpp display, accessed solely via fbdev.
i run the Xfbdev server that was available in the debian stream until
earlier this summer as "xserver-tinyx-fbdev", version 4.1.0-3, built
for mips.  this server was falling pretty far behind in maintenance,
and was pulled from debian sometime early this summer.  i'm still running
with the "obsolete" package, which is okay for now, but in looking
forward, i thought i should try to build the "latest".

so, seeing that there was brandy-new 6.8.1 just out, i decided to
build it.  and, much to my surprise, i was successful.  :-)  even
more to my surprise, it actually runs, and works.  :-)

i tried to trim things out of the host.def as much as possible -- fbdev
only, for instance -- but i still have the following sizes:

    [ the debian release ]
    $ size /usr/X11R6/bin/Xfbdev
    1041350   27352   33324 1102026  10d0ca /usr/X11R6/bin/Xfbdev

    [ my 6.8.1 build ]
    $ size /sandbox/fun/xorg/mips/programs/Xserver/Xorg
    5906759  550916  149036 6606711  64cf77 /sandbox/xc/programs/Xserver/Xorg

clearly i wasn't as successful in my trimming as i'd like to be.  :-)

so:  can anyone offer up a recipe, or a template, for building something
that's closer to what i'm currently running?  my host.def file is here:
    http://www.foxharp.boston.ma.us/tmp/host.def

another issue is the touchscreen.  previously i was using the /dev/ts
interface provided by Xfbdev, which i think is an alias for /dev/h3600_ts,
or something like that.  what should i use currently?

thanks for any help...

paul